Because of philanthropy. . .
Because of philanthropy:
- Every student in Oberlin for the past 10 years has had the chance to go to college;
- More than 115,000 people had free access to iconic institutions and events as part of the centennial celebration of The Cleveland Foundation;
- Shelby has a new city park with an amphitheater and trails created on land previously ravaged by floods;
- 15,500 Central Ohio preschool children had assessments to help them be successful in kindergarten;
- Zanesville residents have a $10 million state-of-the-art recreation/community center; and
- Applying a collective impact approach leveraged or redirected $41 million to address Greater Cincinnati’s workforce needs.
These are just a few examples of the impact philanthropy makes in communities across the state. I could go on and on building a list that encompasses all 88 counties, because Ohio is a very generous state.
We’ll be releasing our Ohio Gives infographic in a few weeks, which demonstrates this generosity with data on the amount and range of giving but here’s one quick data point: in 2012 – the latest year for which we have data – individuals and organizations gave $7.8 billion to support all kinds of nonprofits. That’s up significantly from the $6.6 billion of the year before. We’ll be mailing Ohio Gives to members and posting it on this blog as well as our website next month.
We’re not the only ones celebrating the impact of philanthropy this month. While National Philanthropy Day is formally designated as November 15, it’s celebrated throughout the month here in Ohio and across the country. Around the state, local Association of Fundraising Professionals chapters are hosting lunches and other special events that recognize community members for their outstanding contributions. A few Philanthropy Ohio members are among those being recognized at these events, including The Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation, Austin-Bailey Health and Wellness Foundation and CareSource, and we congratulate them on their awards.
Let’s all celebrate philanthropy, its strength and vitality, in all its forms.
Claudia Y.W. Herrold
Entry filed under: Ohio Issues. Tags: AFP, Cleveland Foundation, fundraising, infographic, national philanthropy day, national philanthropy week, nonprofits, Ohio, Ohio Gives, Philanthropy, Philanthropy Ohio.